A BIG Warm Welcome to Westoe Crown Primary
"Expect the Best, Achieve Success"
We are a very large primary school (admission number of 90 pupils per year group, totalling 630 Reception to Year 6 pupils, plus 78 place nursery provision) located in the heart of South Shields on the north east coast of England. Built in 2004 as part of the Westoe Crown Village development, our school offers children a lively, friendly environment in which we enable children to flourish, enjoy and achieve. Although our children range from 3 years old to 11 years old, we would like to think we can offer lots of positive learning experiences for all community members irrespective of age!
We are very proud of our learning environments and our outdoor
environment is just as important as our indoor learning spaces.
At Westoe Crown you will find outdoor spaces have been zoned to cater to the needs of our children:
- our Nursery and Reception classes have their own outdoor space flowing directly from their indoor environment. We have created an imaginative and stimulating space in which children can explore and learn using water, sand, pebbles, pullies, hills, bridges and tunnels!
- in KS1/KS2 we have two outdoor classrooms for children to enjoy as well as a pirate ship and trim trail to challenge the children's climbing skills!
- we also have two playgrounds with a range of play activities painted on the ground and a number of tables with tabletop games to entertain children of all ages.
- KS1 and KS2 have their own fields to run all that energy off and to play football on! In KS2 we also have a 'hardcourt' area designated for football and netball games.
- we encourage our children to walk and cycle to school and have bicycle stands located in both the KS1 and KS2 playgrounds.
- if your child enjoys gardening we have a fabulous allotment/garden area with a greenhouse, raised flowerbeds, seating areas and outdoor music area. Our 'Greenfingers Gardeners' do us proud!
- we have built a new community room in the KS2 playground to provide even more space - finished product, courtesy of our children's fantastic design and technology skills!
- 2 tyre parks (KS1 & KS2) have been recently created, following 2 years of fundraising by our children and their families.
We are also very fortunate to have a wonderful modern indoor learning environment which includes:
- purpose built nursery unit with cloakroom and toilet area for the exclusive use of nursery children. There is also enough space to house a massive indoor sand pit and small group rooms!
- our three Reception classes are designed so there is a 'free flow' between the classes for children to enjoy the various areas of learning but also allow each class to have their own space, when necessary.
- we have a range of technology in school, each classroom has an interactive smartboard and an ICT suite kitted out with desktop PC's for whole class use. In addition, laptops, netbooks, ipads, digital cameras and even Nintendo DS's are in continual use across the school.
- two new libraries have been created in school over the past year and a library bar coded indexing system is being developed (with the help of our children!) throughout the school. We encourage our children to make their own choice of books and use their ICT skills to scan their books in and out of the library.
- we are proud of our coal mining heritage, with our school being built on the site of Westoe Colliery, and this is celebrated in school frequently; you will see our Miners' Gala Banner on display in the main entrance and we have a 'Miners' Corridor' which the children painted with a local ex-miner artist.
- our classrooms are vibrant and highly personalised and should reflect the children's interests, learning and personality. Our children are encouraged to take great pride in their environments and are crucial in the development of their learning spaces. That's why at Westoe Crown it's not unusual to find role play areas in all year groups - you're never too old to enjoy using your imagination and creativity!
Please take a little time to read on and learn a little more about our school and our wonderful children, staff and governors. We hope you find the information on this website easy to use, easy to understand but above all we hope you get a real flavour of the vast range of opportunities on offer at Westoe Crown.
Finally, feedback is really important to us so if you think of any ideas which would improve our website or communication, please contact us... we're learning all of the time!!!